Monday, May 23, 2016

Review: Flamecaster (Shattered Realms #1) by Cinda Williams Chima



A treat for any fantasy fan.
Title: Flamecaster
Series: Shattered Realms
Author: Cinda williams Chima
Publisher: HarperCollins, USA
My ratings: 4 out of 5 stars
Released: 5th April, 2016
After reading so many reviews about Cinda Williams Chima, I was on tenterhooks to find out what the fuss was about. Flamecaster is a spin off series from her hugely popular Seven Realms series. Unfortunately this ignorant and busy reader hasn't had the time to read it. In fact this was the first time I've ever heard of it.

Regardless, I started this book with high hopes and was pleasantly surprised at the writing and the plot. The book starts with some shocking events (especially for fans of the Seven Realms) in our protagonists young lives which shapes them as young adults. Ash is determined to assassinate the King and Jenna is desperately trying to hold the rebellion against the King. The story is more complicated than that but it was not boring one single point.

The world building is all consuming and has all the hallmarks of a seasoned writer who knows it inside out. The characters multifaceted which kept the story moving. I was also surprised how much I was enjoying the book even without the essential (at least for me) romance. In fact my main complaint is about the romance. I'm sorry to say that it has insta-love of the worst kind. Believe it or not they were kissing by their second meeting! That had me shaking my head as I did not expect an acclaimed author taking that route. I felt they had absolute no chemistry. In fact I felt that Ash and Lila had more chemistry.

All over it is a treat for any fantasy fans with plenty of fantasy elements, evil kings, mysterious foreign ambassador, assassins parading as healers, mages and dragons.

Review copy provided by the publisher, HarperCollins


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say?
I love comments on my blog. Leave a comment and I'd do my best to reply as quickly as possible.

 

Escapism Copyright © 2011 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template | Ugg Boots Sale | web hosting